Youth Exchange members sometimes sounds like they are talking in their own language! Here are some of our commonly used
abbreviations, acronyms, etc.
- OB - Outbound (OB) is our term for a student going out of our district to exchange with another district/country.
- IB - Inbound (IB) is the term for a student coming into Alaska/Yukon for another district/country.
- RB - Rebound (RB) is the term we use for a student to returned from his or her exchange experience.
- District - Rotary International is divided into districts. Some countries have many districts while some districts may
cover more than one country. We are District 5010 and encompass Alaska and the Yukon in Canada.
- YEO - Youth Exchange Officers (YEO's) represent a Rotary Club participating in the exchange program. The YEO will
generally be a primary contact for an Outbound, Inbound or Rebound assigned to or selected from a specific club.
- Host Family - Host Families take in an exchange student for three to four months. The student lives in the family as
if he or she is a regular family member.
- WESSEX - The Western States Student Exchange, Inc. (WESSEX) is a non-commercial organization of more than 17 Rotary
Districts in the Western United States who have pooled their resources to provide you effective & efficient services. We have an established
network of trusted Rotarians involved in Youth Exchange throughout the world helping to ensure successful and safe student exchanges.
- NAYEN - The North American Youth Exchange Network (NAYEN) is a collaborative network of Rotarians involved in Youth Exchange
that work together to ensure positive and safe student exchanges.